[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead
Axialis Software Community • View topic - From 32-bit ico to 24-bit bitmaps

From 32-bit ico to 24-bit bitmaps

Discussions about Icons and Cursors

Moderators: Paracelsus, A-team, MarcFou

From 32-bit ico to 24-bit bitmaps

Postby bogdan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:54 am

Hello everybody.

I have created icons at 32-bit with alpha transparency. I want to convert them to bitmaps on 24-bit (without transparency with pink - 255,0,255 background). The problem is that the pixels that are semi-transparent are painted with a dufferit hue of color than the original one was. That means that the icon will have pink pixels on the edges. If I try to convert the 32-bit icons to 24-bit with 256 colors, the alpha transparency is removed. That's also not a good option. Is there anything that I'm missing and can be done in this situation ? I have hundreds of icons that should be recreated and would very much to automatize the process of creating 24-bit icons (I know about the batch converted, the problem is that the result is not what I want).

Thanks.
bogdan

Re: From 32-bit ico to 24-bit bitmaps

Postby bogdan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:01 am

Would be nice if Axialis would know how to convert alpha-transparency pixels to the equivalent solid color. Maybe in the next version. :)n
[size=85][ April 28, 2006, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: bogdan ][/size]
bogdan

Postby bogdan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:14 am

I just found myself a nice work-around:

From Draw > Adjustments/Effects > Oppacityn Or by shortcut "O".

Adjusting the slider to 100 will convert all the semi-transparent pixels into the solid color. (would have been so much better to approximate the hue of the semi-transparent color)

The bad is that there's no batch converting option for oppacity and every single file should be opened. Again, maybe in the futures versions, would be the possibility to create batch jobs with almost any settings in the software. Think also that some people develop dozens if not hundreds of icons (my case) and it's saves so much time.

Thanks again for your support. Maybe somebody else have any other answer to my question. I'll leave it open.
bogdan

Postby bogdan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:39 am

Just found another method. I'm posting these replies, maybe somebody else have the same problem and will find the answer on this forum,... and also for the staff of Axialis.

Converting the icons to a 256-color format before doing the 24-bit bitmaps would help in removing the alpha-transparency.

However, I'm interesting in converting them automatically. Using the "Batch Create Windows Icons" option will resolve the things very nice but will not keep the naming of the files. Imagine what does that mean when you have many many icons.

An alternative would be using the "Batch Normalize Image Formats". This would do the trick to maintain the naming of the files (there is a "Write Option") but won't allow us to choose how we want the converting to be: with or without dithering for 256, 16 and mono icons. This is a very important option.

I guess I'll have to choose between two bads.

[size=85][ April 28, 2006, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: bogdan ][/size]
bogdan

Postby bogdan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:56 am

The final solution:

I've choosed "Batch Create Windows Icons" and then deselected Dithering (in my case this it's better to be deselected).

The program will create another set of icons renamed "name (2).ico". Sorting them by date in Axialis Explorer then selecting them and creating another batch job will give the expected result: "Batch Create Images". It will create the images with the old name format which is very cool.

That's it folks!
bogdan

Return to Icons & Cursors